Resources for Keystone Kids:
HOME WORSHIP RESOURCES:
Worship God by Praying:
Worship God by Giving:
Talk About the Text:
Grow in Online Studies:
Discussion Guide: 1 Corinthians 13:8-13
You Can’t Stop Love – Part 2
I. LOVE IS GREATER THAN GIFTS
I must prioritize loving others, for the sake of the mission, because:
- Love lasts longer than gifts. (v. 8)
- Love is more complete than gifts. (v. 9-10)
- Love is more mature than gifts. (v. 11)
- Love is more clear than gifts. (v. 12)
II. LOVE IS THE GREATEST VIRTUE
- Faith and hope are informed by love.
- To know God is to know love.
- There is no end to love.
*Love-less service views people as annoying obstacles to ministry. But, love-filled service views people as the point of ministry.
*Humble sinners are so overwhelmed with the love they have received in Christ, that they have no problem giving that same love to others.
Application Discussion / Next Steps:
- Re-read 1 Corinthians 13:8-13 – What stood out to you in the sermon this morning?
God’s perfect love for you is unending. What should be your response both to him and in your relationships with others?
Do you really believe that love is the single best thing you have to offer our church family?
Who/When/Where do you find it hardest to love? How does the love of God in the gospel speak to you in these challenges?
Why do our desires tend to gravitate toward having temporary gifting rather than expressing eternal love?
What negative effect might have resulted if Paul had discussed spiritual gifts without including the important emphasis on love?
Read John 13:35. With what are we tempted to replace “love for one another” in this verse? “By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you __________________.”
Much of life is overflow and reactional rather than calculated and intentional. In other words, our response to people and situations is more often a heart reflex than a mindful decision in the moment. So, what can you do to renew your mind and ready your heart (Rom.12:2) so that love is what overflows onto others?
- The love of God for sinners is nothing short of radical love. How can you be radical in your love for someone this week? Invite someone to hold you accountable to show this love.
- Pray for the ongoing unity of Keystone Bible Church as we study the truth of 1 Corinthians.
Take time meditating on the love of God for you in the gospel. Use a passage like 1 John 4:9–10 as a guide. Then, turn your meditation toward God in praise and thanksgiving.
Pray for a growing internal feeling of love and affection for others in your church family.
Pray that your external actions would increasingly demonstrate your internal love for others.
- What specific sin should you confess that needs to be put to death in your heart so that love might more fully come alive?